Re: How to request for the number of members of a container ?

> From: Olivier Berger <olivier.berger@it-sudparis.eu>
> To: public-ldp-wg@w3.org,
> Date: 11/19/2012 04:38 PM
> Subject: How to request for the number of members of a container ?
>
> Hi.
>
> I cannot seem to quickly find a mention on how one may "query" a LDP
> Container for it's number of contained members/Resources... (call it
> count / len(gth) "primitives", if you will) :-/
>
> I don't have my printed copy of the specs at hand to check and couldn't
> spot an easy answer browsing the HTML document.
>
> Is this worth an Issue or am I missing the obvious ?

The idea is that this number would be ever evolving, especially with
pagination, therefore a meaningful number would be hard to maintain.  As
for the number of members of a container that you have in hand, it is
usually best to rely on software library (like length()) or manually count
to give you an accurate number.  If the server return it with the
representation, then the client would still be left to deal with the fact
when the numbers are different (computed vs. given).  So I believe leaving
it off might be best.

One could argue the point that we could raise an issue, reach this
conclusion, then no spec action is taken.  At least then we'd have it
"recorded".

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net