Re: ldp-ISSUE-38 (filtering, inlining): filtered representations and inlining [Linked Data Platform core]

On 20 Nov 2012, at 00:48, "Wilde, Erik" <Erik.Wilde@emc.com> wrote:

> hello roger.

>>> that already is an assumption, isn't it?
>> maybe, but, it's a quite reasonable one, don't you think ?  I'm making that assumption, since we're doing RESTful LinkedData, Linked data is already a graph (as is the web), so, I think it we are on solid ground with it!! :)
>
> we're building a service and as such, we cannot expose implementation details. we want to allow and encourage LDP implementation on non-RDF back-ends. so what we can expose is the service surface including the interactions it affords, but assuming that service internals are RDF would go too far.

You can map anything to RDF, so there being an RDF interface makes absolutely no requirement on the backend storage. It's all about the API, and at that level we are doing things semantically, i.e.: with RDF here.

If you have sql backend you can use rdb2rdf backend.  You could use a file system backend if you wish - that's what we dead with read-write-web prototype a year ago.

> imagine Atom(Pub) would have specified XQuery for querying feeds assuming every implementation would run an XML DB and manage its data in XML. this would have made way too many assumptions about service internals and greatly dimished the service's value as an implementation-agnostic way for managing collections.

That is Atom(Pub) this is LDP. For those who want Atom(Pub) atom(Pub) already exists. We are hering mapping this to RDF, which essentially will make it possible to work with any syntax.