Re: ldp-ISSUE-36 (container creation): Can and how do applications create new containers? [Linked Data Platform core]

>>> ldp-ISSUE-36 (container creation): Can and how do applications create new containers? [Linked Data Platform core]
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/2012/ldp/track/issues/36
>>>
>>> Raised by: Andy Seaborne
>>> On product: Linked Data Platform core
>>>
>>> Can containers be created by the application and if so, how?
>>> Does the application control the URI pattern for items created in the new container? (see ISSUE-26).
>>>
>>> See thread from
>>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ldp-wg/2012Nov/0082.html
>>>

>> I think it should be possible that containers could be created in the application, but, I think this would be part of regular application flow, and no special mechanism needs to be reserved for this case.
>
> That would be good - could you show how you think it would happen
> (triples and verbs used)?

I just mean that a resource in the system is created, by the server, as part of the application, and will come to life already as a container. I think it is less likely, but possible, that a resource that is originally a non-container, gets turned into a container later on as a result of something happening in the application. However, I think it is often more natural to consider it as a container which is *currently* not accepting/creating.

All the same a client should be able to manage with all cases using resource 'reflection'.

It is feasible (but, not particularly helpful) that a client might use the update aspect of LDP to make a new 'type' assertion about the resource, and this could trigger the switch from non-container to container.

Roger