Re: LDP with Access Control, or future LDPS(ecure)?

On 12 Nov 2012, at 14:20, Ashok Malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi Andrei:
> I have started a Wiki page on access control:
> http://www.w3.org/2012/ldp/wiki/AccessControl#Access_Control
> Please take a look.  This may not cover what you want so please send feedback.
> All the best, Ashok

Thanks Ashok.

I agree with Andrei and Kingsley that Access Control is essential to building
distributed Linked Data Apps. Luckily Access Control is orthogonal to LDP, so
that they need not step on each others toes: which would be problematic as
Identity and Access Control have a lot of stockholders that often seem to be
very antagonistic. What we need to do is fill in the use cases on Ashok's
Access Control wiki.

On the WebID/RWW Community groups we are organising a regular meeting for those
who wish to implement Tim Berners Lee's WebAccessControl system referred to by
http://www.w3.org/2012/ldp/wiki/AccessControl#W3C_WebAccessControl . I will send
another e-mail out soon here, to see if the time we have chosen is one that would
allow members of the LDP group to participate.

I will also try to start writing up in the WebID community group a spec about
Identity  interoperability, to show how one can get different identification
mechanism - OpenId, BrowserId, ... WebID over TLS - to work together with the
an LDP friendly system such as the WebAccessControl ontology .

In my view if one looks at this from the logical point of view ( ie semantically )
we can make a lot of what seemed like insurmountable problems disappear or fade
away. This does not mean that there is nothing to do: just showing that these systems
all can work together will be a major breakthrough, just as it was a major breakthrough
in physics to show that Hesperus and Phosphorus - the morning star and the evening
star - were both the same star: Venus.

So for the time being building up the use cases on the wiki is going to be very important
as it is a deliverable for this WG to publish a note on this subject - an essential one
since it is true that one cannot build very interesting systems without taking access control
into account.