Re: ldp-ISSUE-33 (pagination): how to structure functionality

hello henry.

On 2012-11-12 9:40 , "Henry Story" <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>The other way I think one could do this is with something like an RDF
>form.
>Thinks of every page as containing a form.
>Think of the form as a query to the user.
>Give it semantics: then you can think of a form as a SPARQL query to the
>user.
>That query could be something like "which slice X of the answer do you
>want?"
>then the robot/human can know the vocabulary of the query asked of it, and
>can answer by POSTing to the collection.

maybe i am pointing out the obvious here, but a URI template is an
essential part of a form (when wrapped in a media type that describes
parameters so that clients can instantiate URIs at runtime). the crucial
difference to a generic query language is a that a form exposes a
service-specific way of what clients can ask for, and then on the service
side can be translated into whatever actual query language the backend
happens to use. separating the service surface (here is what you can ask
this service) from the service implementation (here is the query this
request is translated to) usually is a good idea.