Re: Creation of Containers

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 23:11:10 +0000
Cc: "public-ldp-wg@w3.org" <public-ldp-wg@w3.org>, Niclas Hoyer <niclas@verbugt.de>
To: "Wilde, Erik" <Erik.Wilde@emc.com>
On 7 Nov 2012, at 22:38, Wilde, Erik wrote:
> - designate a magic "container of containers" which essentially works as a
> container factory. when you create a new member in this container, it by
> definition becomes a new container that is then accessible like any other
> container.

Yes, that's the model that works well with the current LDP spec. The nice thing about this is that nothing needs to be said about it in the spec -- it's a pure server implementation issue.

> i think there is something to be said about the fact that managing
> collections might be a different set of use cases, and maybe should be
> pushed to version 2 or whatever comes after what we're currently doing.
> for example, it is almost certain that managing collections often will
> require a different level of access control and authorization, so maybe
> not including this scenario would allow us to keep or eyes focused on the
> simpler use cases of just interacting with existing collections.

General +1 for letting the server decide what affordances are available on what resources.

Clients can of course play dirty by faking affordances via PUTting misleading LDP-ontology triples, as Nathan and Henry point out. But servers *can* avoid that by validating the incoming data or giving access only to trusted clients. That seems sufficient, and I don't think that anything needs to be done about this in our spec.

Best,
Richard