Re: is linked data about RDF or EAV or just structured data?

Andy -

See below -

[Andy]
Finding the balance of flexibility and commonality is important.  i
don't think we have advanced things if we end up with a metamodel but
isolated islands of connected apps because different groupings use
different serializations.
[Reza]
I think this is a key statement that I don't agree with and would like
to see how many of the people here do or do not agree with. My point is
not religious:  I don't care about RDF one way or the other.  What I'm
saying is that it's completely impractical if we're proposing that all
the people in the world who have existing data in much more prevalent
formats are to convert their serialization models to RDF/XML.  I think
this, by itself, will make the probability of wide adoption of this
standard go close to 0.  It's like asking people to go convert all their
data.  It's impractical.  Won't happen.  Costs too much.  Are you saying
that we're going to have lots of large data providers all of sudden say
"wow, there is this cool new standard, let me go spend a billion dollars
to convert all my data to it so that it can be linked to and I can go
link to other people".  I think we need to consider the adoption
ramifications and think about why Sem Web standards have experienced
lesser success than other W3C/TimBL standards such as Http/HTML/etc.

I use Prov-DM as an example.  I think Prov and HLCS have both done an
incredible job in building a semantic standard that has a good
probability of being adopted.  Prov, for example, is not saying "don't
do RDF"... it just separates the conceptual model (Prov-DM) from the
serialization, provides 2 serializations (Prov-N and Prov-O), and says
you can hae your own serialization if you want. I would say 90% of the
value is still in Prov-DM which provides a conceptual model so that
implementers think about the structural design of their systems, how to
deal with time and space complexity (real problems), and other
ramifications that the implementation of the standard will impose on
their systems/products/etc.  This wasn't something that I came up with,
rather something that the academics on Prov came up with, but I give
them huge props for that [and incidentally, an we get some academics to
make comments on this thread?  Any time you get only commercial folks
talking on threads, I become very weary about motivations, etc.]
*
*Best.