Re: is linked data about RDF or EAV or just structured data?

Ok. Thanks.  I think we're making progress.  Here is my case:

The largest repositories of data that exist today are NOT provided as
RDF so far as I know (clearly, this is a subjective statement and open
to being corrected).  For example, Data.gov which is a giant repository
of data, is not in RDF.  While RPI does provide facilities to make it
into RDF, there are licensing issues, etc. around it
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ for RPI's version).

So, my belief, at least, is that it would actually be more beneficial to
the entire effort and adoption of the spec if RDF/XML is made optional
because it will entice implementers to "back-into" full implementation
versus having to do waterfall-style full implementation which may be
impractical for smaller entities and/or projects that need to show value
to get traction.  So, the concern is rooted in at least one practical
perspective.  If we only have a handful of large entities and niche
players implement a standard, it's not a very successful standard.

There are huge benefits to a standard without requiring a serialization
format: namely removal of all abstraction impedance mismatches that can
lead to data loss, etc.  I see that as the main benefit of a standard
for Linked Data versus the serialization recommendation.  In practical
terms, I may need to hook into different systems and write parsers, but
the parsers are trivial.  I'm not advocating that we encourage this, but
that we allow it.

Best.