Re: Modularization [Was - Re: LDP interfaces in Java (based on Jena and JAX-RS)]

On 8/7/12 9:15 AM, Wilde, Erik wrote:
> hello kingsley.
>
> On 2012-08-07 14:52 , "Kingsley Idehen" <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>> For Linked Data the model is intrinsically an entity-attribute-value
>> model enhanced with de-refrencable URIs.
> why is it "intrinsically EAV" but not "intrinsically RDF"?

Because EAV doesn't mandate use of URIs or specific URI behavior. RDF on
the other hand uses URIs as a denotation mechanism without an explicit
requirement for them to be de-referencable .

Linked Data adds the de-referencable requirement such that a URI
resolves to a representation of its referent. This is an extremely
important subtlety that's often overlooked.

> i just don't
> see this anywhere other than in your statements. linked data (lower case)
> can be anything that uses structured data representations and URIs for
> identification or resources;

You mean identification of resources?
>   Linked Data (upper case) seems to be
> perceived by the majority of people to be based on RDF.

That isn't really true. Remember, RDF only uses URIs for denotation. It
doesn't require them to be de-referencable. Linked Data on the other
hand, requires them to be de-referencable in such a way that the
following are intrinsically connected:

1. URI
2. URI Referent
3. Description Document (comprised of structured content in EAV/SPO
graph form).
>   i still don't
> understand how you end up on that middle ground (it's not RDF, but it's
> EAV), and saying that it is "intrinsically" like that does not really
> explain where this perspective originates.

Maybe we should look at it from a different perspective. What is your
understanding of structured data? In my case it boils down to data
representation where the relationship between an entity, its attributes,
and its attribute values are clearly discernible. Syntaxes for
expressing the aforementioned vary.

As I've said repeatedly, we have a "deceptively simple" task on our
hands re. Linked Data and RDF decoupling. Remember, RDF was
retrospectively added to TimBL's original Linked Data meme, for the
wrong reasons. We are still reeling from the effects of that action till
this very day :-(

> thanks and cheers,
>
> dret.

Kingsley Idehen