Re: POSTing RDF to LDPC without null URIs

> On 6 Jan 2015, at 16:50, Andreea State <andreea.state@factmint.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I have a query regarding LDP behaviour in the case of POSTing against a container. Let us assume "http://example.com/c1 <http://example.com/c1>" is a container, and I POST the following turtle document:
>
> @prefix <http://example.com <http://example.com/>>
> <dog> a <Animal> .
> <cat> a <Animal> .

according to the URI spec if the document creater were
<http://example.com/c1/animal>

then that would create a document whose content
represented as NTriples would be:

<http://example.com/c1/dog> a <http://example.com/c1/Animal> .
<http://example.com/c1/cat> a <http://example.com/c1/Animal> .

But LDP does not restrict the URL of the created document
to be of that type. It could also create a URL such as this

<http://example.com/animal> in which case the returned graph
would be:

<http://example.com/dog> a <http://example.com/Animal> .
<http://example.com/cat> a <http://example.com/Animal> .

This is an indication that a client should not use relative URLS other
than <> in POSTing to a LDPC.

If you want an LDPC to work for all relative URLs the intuitive way other then
you would be in support of the addition of an intuitive container

http://www.w3.org/2012/ldp/track/issues/50

If so you can express your support for that and the working
group can consider it in the next iteration of LDP.

> The specification says that for null relative URIs the server returns a 'Location' header with a newly created resource. It does not appear to be obvious what the behaviour should be in the case of the above example - where there are no null URIs.
>
> From the draft recommendation:
>
> "5.2.3.1 LDP clients should create member resources by submitting a representation as the entity body of the HTTP POST to a known LDPC. If the resource was created successfully, LDP servers must respond with status code 201 (Created) and the Location header set to the new resource’s URL. Clients shall not expect any representation in the response entity body on a 201 (Created) response."
>
> Does that only apply to LDP clients?
>
> Some guidance would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Andreea State