Re: ( LC-2915)

Dear Arnaus, WG,

Thank you for reviewing my comment.

I read in the minutes that the idea of defining relative graphs and also
using a specific media-type (application/ld) have been discussed: these two
ideas are way to make the current working of the spec more clean, that is
not claiming to be sending around RDF hwne in fact it is not.

Also the variant with some placeholder URI has been discussed. As I write
in [1] I consider this idea to be a hack, unlike Pierre-Antoine's original
proposal (referenced in my original comment).

While the practical consequences are discussed (temporary URI, burden on
the server) the fundamental issue that the LDP WG should combine RDF and a
RESTful API is not. The discussed possible response "LDP uses Turtle, which
support rel URIs" brings it to the point: the LDP spec is not based on RDF
but on Turtle.

Because of this I think the LDP WG did not accomplish its mission.

In my opinion this completely unnecessary. With Pierre-Antoine's proposal
there is a way to solve things in RDF not only solving the practical issues
(including the also discussed separate "../" issue) but also fulfilling the
mission of the charter.

Surprisingly this proposal was not explicitly discussed. Possibly the
following

Sandro Hawke: it's not a bnode, it's a node uri ←

is referring to that proposal.

I see no conflict with the semantics of bnodes: the client tells the server
"There is something which is a <member> of <foo> and which is of type
<Stock> and has a value of  '1000'", receiving this information the server
assigns a URI to the existentially quantified resource (i.e. "grounds" the
node).

So to summarize: Without any significant disadvantage the WG could base the
spec on RDF rather than on a concrete serialization or some Relative RDF
graph model. With this change the WG would fulfill its mission. This would
also solve some practical issues as well as potential problems and missuses
of relative URIs. The specific solution has been provided by Pierre-Antoine
Champin in March 2013.

Best regard,
Reto

1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ldp/2014Mar/0026.html