Re: workable IFC-RDF conversion?

Hi Vladimir and all,

I am currently in Barcelona, but unfortunately cannot make it till end
of the week here and will fly back to Sofia in Wednesday already. Of
course I am always available for a talk in Sofia, the Friday afternoon
pizza's were great last time :-)

Personallhy I do not like the road of going to a mesh or something
similar like a collection of polygons for example. Semantic Web / Linked
Data should be about defining the semantics and this way we push out all
semantics of geometry before even starting to use it.

We just created a small converter from IFC to WKT (feel free to
redistribute it, however not well tested so please send me feedback if
there is an issue):
      https://rdf.bg/download/ifc2wkt-20240407.zip
(./x64/Release/runme.bat, you can edit it in notepad to change the input
files)
Again, also here I think this is not the correct road but several people
are asking for it; also in the context of improved GeoSPARQL with more
3D capabilities.

In my perception we should try to convert the semantics in geometry
towards an ontology, our first try (the GEOM ontology) has many issues
but at least it captures the semantics. In practical use we combine it
with  technique where we can serialize any part of the geometry in a TTL
file into a string (this string can be unpacked in a WASM web viewer to
generate geometry for visualization for example). This allows us to
'pack' semantically poor geometrical representations with a lot of data
in the triple store as a single or a few instances.

Best regards,

Peter.