Re: Use of IRIs in other specs

On 7/30/12 12:05 PM, Larry Masinter wrote:
> IRIs are widely deployed and referenced;
> RFC 3987 is referenced by 42 RFCs
> http://www.arkko.com/tools/allstats/citations-rfc3987.html
>
> and many W3C specs:
> https://www.google.com/search?q=3987+rfc+site%3Awww.w3.org%2FTR
> at least some of which use IRIs or something like them as protocol elements.
>
> The problem is that we have at least 3 different classes
>

> RFC 3987-compatible   <   LEIRI compatible (used in XML)  < browser-compatible (used in HTML and other browser implementations).
>
> HTML5 allows use of document character set for query parameters, and a wide variety of characters not valid in LEIRI, but of course allows RFC 3987 compatible.
> LEIRI allows RFC 3987 but also spaces.
>
> The question is whether any of the protocols that allow IRIs really need to maintain RFC 3987 compatibility, or would want to be compatible with browsers.
> I think "web applications" (i.e., things built with the HTML javascript-engine) want to be compatible with browsers.

Hi Larry, thanks for asking the question.

I looked at that list of 42 RFCs, and the one technology that I think
might have wide deployment and 3987-compatible usage is the Atom format
(RFC 4287 and friends). It is often consumed by browsers, but not
always. I'll post a query to the atom-syntax@imc.org list and report
here with my findings.

Peter

--