Re: IRI agenda items for IETF 84

That's unfortunate, as is the fact that the chairs and some of the
document editors won't be able to participate in person. I am starting
to doubt whether we can hold a productive meeting at IETF 84 (e.g., I
have never chaired a meeting remotely).

However, even aside from the large topic of whether IRIs are truly
needed or useful (see John's SRI proposal [1] and recent threads), it's
also true that we are far behind on our milestones and we need to either
finish this work or decide not to complete it. In fact we don't have
many open issues on 3987bis and 4395bis [2], but the editors haven't had
much time to complete the work. The other documents have received even
less attention (other than a short burst of activity on the bidi document).

I feel that we need to set a hard deadline for completion of at least
3987bis and 4395bis (say, starting the Working Group Last Call before
the end of September). If we cannot achieve that, then I would
reluctantly concede that we need to close the WG rather than keep it on
life support any longer.

Peter, as co-chair

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-klensin-iri-sri/

[2] http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/report/1