RE: Query parts in IRIs in plain text mail

Let me take a slightly different example:
http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/non-existent?é
(I don't know what charset my email is in)

If the charset were iso-8859-1 then under RFC 3987 as I understand it,
this would become
http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/non-existent?%C3%83%C2%A9
In other words, you have to convert iso-8859-1 to UTF-8 and then pct-encode
the UTF-8.

But as I understand 3987bis it would become
http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/non-existent?%C3%A9
which would then be passed around via various APIs and protocols
that would not pass the charset along with it.
As such it would be interpreted by the receiving code as pct-encoded UTF-8:
http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/non-existent?é
which of course it isn't.

Am I missing something?

-Dave