Re: IRI agenda items for IETF 84

--On Monday, July 09, 2012 09:39 -0600 Peter Saint-Andre
<stpeter@stpeter.im> wrote:

> Does anyone have agenda requests? If not, there might not be a
> need to hold a meeting.

Peter,

If we are having a meeting, I'd like to have time to discuss the
fork in the road among:

(1) draft-ietf-iri-3987bis and the associated documents.

(2) Approaches such as that represented by draft-klensin-iri-sri

(3) An update to 3987 that preserves the "not a protocol
identifier" and "every valid URI is a valid IRI" principles.  As
far as I know, no one is arguing for this, but it is still a
possibility.

(4) Giving up, deprecating/obsoleting 3987, and moving on.

I note that draft-ietf-iri-comparison seems intimately tied to
(1).  The intent behind (2) includes standardizing information
sufficiently that a simple XML structured comparison (i.e.,
ignoring irrelevant white space) should suffice without
identifier- or scheme-specific comparison rules.
draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines would probably still be helpful,
but some of the issues it addresses appear to me to disappear.

It is not clear to me whether that discussion can more
efficiently be held in Vancouver, by email, or by some other
method.  I'll leave that question in your hands.

best,
   john