Re: why use IRIs?

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 09:42:36 +0200
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: public-iri@w3.org
* Mark Nottingham wrote:
>I tend to agree with Peter.
>[...]

This doesn't really help me understand where you see problems with IRIs.
Could you take a simple example like http://björn.höhrmann.de/ and tell
me of some places where I should be unable to use that even though I can
use http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de/ in the same place, without arguing about
limitations of deployed protocols, software, or hardware, and without
arguing about issues that would arise anyway when displaying URIs, and
why I should be unable to use the non-URI IRI there?

Unhelpful arguments in the sense above would be "HTTP/2.0 should stick
to URIs because using IRIs there is a hassle when HTTP/2.0 implementa-
tions interact with HTTP/1.1 implementations", as that relies on limi-
tations of HTTP/1.1 implementations, or "IRIs with zero-width spaces
can be confused with ones without such spaces" as you'd have the same
issue when you turn URIs into IRIs "for display", and so on.