Re: [iri] #44: Reference Unicode TR 46, and if yes, how?

> On 11/9/11 4:14 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
>> Peter,
>>
>> Let me say that a little more strongly.  URIs and IRIs need to
>> be in some sort of reduced canonical form or basically all hope
>> of comparing them (including for caching purposes) without some
>> rather complicated algorithm disappears.  To the extent to which
>> they are a good idea at all, mapping procedures like UTR 46 and
>> RFC 5895 are useful for providing users with more convenience
>> and flexibility.  But, to the extent to which URIs and IRIs are
>> going to be used between systems, used to identify cached
>> content, etc., they just don't belong in them.   Worse, neither
>> UTR 46 nor RFC 5895 (especially the former) are general-purpose
>> mapping/ equivalence routines.  They are specific to IDNA and,
>> to a considerable measures, motivated by a desire to smooth out
>> IDNA2003 ->  IDNA2008 transition.
>
> <hat type='individual'/>
>
> You're preaching to the choir. :)
>
> I see no reason to reference either UTR 46 or RFC 5895 in 3987bis, but
> other WG participants might disagree.
>
> Peter

It sounds like you both agree, and after reading through the original
thread started by Julian
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-iri/2010Sep/0010.html> it
seems this was originally a question for the Section 3.4 Mapping
ireg-name, which has since been corrected.   The topic of
canonicalization has been moved along with IRI comparison to
draft-ietf-iri-comparison.

Best regards,
Chris Weber