Re: [iri] #27: do we need to say anything special about ZWNJ and ZWJ?

On 10/21/11 5:24 PM, iri issue tracker wrote:
> #27: do we need to say anything special about ZWNJ and ZWJ?
>

> Comment (by duerst@…):
>
>   ZWNJ is Zero Width Non-Joiner, preventing ligatures and similar stuff. ZWJ
>   is Zero Width Joiner, suggesting or forcing ligatures. They are invisible
>   in many contexts, but are important in Persian (Farsi) and some Indic
>   languages (Malayalam,...).
>
>   IDNA 2003 removed them, but IDNA 2008 allows them based on context and
>   with the expectation that registries will be careful about allowing them
>   only in those circumstances where they really make a difference.

Martin, what do you have in mind here as the kind of points we might
make about ZWNJ and ZWJ? For example, would the text cover only the use
of these code points in <ireg-name> or also in other constructions? And
what kinds of things might we say about these code points?

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/