Re: Non-hierarchical base URLs (was Re: draft-abarth-url-01 uploaded)

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 15:18:50 -0700
Cc: public-iri@w3.org
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
On May 3, 2011, at 1:31 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On May 3, 2011, at 12:24 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> Color me confused.  I have never seen actual (non-test) content
>> on the Web that has an arbitrary base URI (one that is unusable
>> in practice).  What is the use case?  Is this a javascript idiom
>> that I am not familiar with?
>
> In the test case quoted above, "about:blank" is a real URI that actually gets loaded. It neither arbitrary nor unusable.

Yes, I know what happens in the test case.  What I don't understand
is why you think that case is worth testing.  What is the use case?
Why would a web page include an iframe that loads "about:blank"
(which itself is not interoperable) and then perform a sequence of
javascript actions that include a relative reference?

I don't have a problem with HTML5 prohibiting the use of certain
URI schemes as a base URI, assuming the HTML parsers revert to
whatever valid base URI was previously active by context, but
I would like to make standards decisions based on real examples.

....Roy