Re: scheme-specific length limits (issue 48)

On 3/31/2011 4:49 AM, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
> As an example, it would be total nonsense to define something like the
> http: scheme to have a maximum length of 512 (or any other number you prefer).

I think that's just a bit too strong. I do agree that, on balance, we
should at least strongly discourage, or perhaps prohibit outright, the
imposition of limits that don't map directly to constraints in the
underlying protocols.

That said, I don't think the arguments to the contrary are "total
nonsense". Handling strings of arbitrary length can, in certain computing
environments, lead to significant increases in complexity and/or increased
performance overhead. In a virtual memory environment, things can get
easier, but in something like an embedded system, having to architect for
arbitrarily long strings when in practice you're unlikely to see any has
real costs in design time, complexity, etc. I still think, on balance, that
baking such restrictions into scheme definitions will rarely if ever be the
right thing to do, but to imply that doing so would be "total nonsense"
seems way too strong.

Noah