Re: parsing URI (references) according to RFC 3986

On 6/23/11 3:51 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> The handling of URIs like "#foo" (and in particular what's used as the
>> base URI for them) has been an interop problem in the past, as I
>> recall... Some browsers use the document URI, some browsers use the base
>> URI, some do a mix depending on various other considerations... or
>> something. For some browsers I haven't been able to figure out what
>> they're doing.
>
> I agree. But this is an HTML-issue (deciding what the base URI is), not
> a URI/IRI issue. Yes, it should be solved, but it should be done in the
> HTML spec.

You seem to misunderstand.  Last I checked, the URI specs called for
"#foo" and "foo" to be treated differently in terms of resolution with
respect to a base URI....  Something about local vs non-local references
or the like.

HTML does decide what the base URI is, of course.

-Boris