Re: parsing URI (references) according to RFC 3986

On 6/20/11 12:03 AM, Adam Barth wrote:
> Would you be interested in treating \ and / equivalently in more
> schemes in order to converge behavior with IE, Chrome, and Safari?

I'm not the one making that call; in fact I'm trying to get out of the
business of dealing with our networking code...  So I can only comment
on what we do right now and maybe on why we do it.

Historically we have been unwilling to do the above (obviously, since we
haven't done it); I can't recall how much was a matter of doing what the
spec says as much as possible and how much was specific use cases that
the behavior precludes (e.g. using unescaped \ in filenames when the
file has that name on the (non-Windows) server).

Note that the Chrome and Safari behavior is limited to some particular
URI schemes or classes of URI schemes too.  Testcase:

   data:text/html,<b>bold<\b>or not

which shows the bold text "bold<\b>or not".  I don't have IE9 on hand
right this second to check its behavior.

-Boris