Re: parsing URI (references) according to RFC 3986

On 6/19/11 8:10 PM, Adam Barth wrote:
> Indeed.  The point is that IE, Chrome, and Safari treat \ as if it
> were / in parsing URLs whereas Firefox does not.  I suspect we'll want
> the spec to say that \ should be treated like / when parsing URLs.

As a note, Gecko treats \ as / in when parsing URIs with the scheme
"file" in builds compiled for Windows and OS2.  We don't do that in any
other circumstances.

-Boris

P.S.  In Gecko's case, also on Windows and OS2, for urls that parse like
"file" (ones where we don't expect an authority section), there's some
sort of magic to detect that things like "file://c:/foo" or
"file://c|/foo" is actually to be parsed as something with host = "" and
file path "/c|/foo" as opposed to something with host "c:" or "c|".  I
have no idea whether other UAs do something similar...