Re: BIDI?

I have thought for a while about the bidi requirements for IRIs.

*Firstly*, I agree with Mark's general proposal - to have a uniform
ordering of fields in IRIs. I have done some experiments with making
Arabic tweets order right to left and the process is very similar.
Figure out the 'fields' of rtl parts (e.g. Arabic phrases) and ltr parts
(e.g. urls, smilies, #tags) then make sure these order uniformly
right-to-left by inserting rlm and lrm marks.

The big problem is that Bidi IRIs are already a reality and have been
since ICANN allowed local language TLDs in 2009. So our ability to mange
user expectations is limited by how Arabic IRIs behave now. Here is a
good example from Qatar:

http://الاعلي-للاتصالات.قطر/ar/news-events/event

or using capitals to replace the Arabic words:

http://QATAR.TELECOMS-SUPREME/ar/news-events/event

The url is generally left-to-right except for the domain which is
right-to-left. Arabic users now expect the domain part of an IRI to be
ordered RTL if it is in Arabic.

There is a need to have two directions for IRIs. I would suggest that
the ordering direction is controlled by the direction of the language of
the TLD. So السعودية domains should always draw rtl, but .sa will draw ltr.

*Secondly*, The text editing interface for a Bidi IRI is a nightmare for
an Arabic user. There is no consistent cursor or highlight behaviour
across browsers. There is also no consistent user expectation - does the
highlight extend visually or logically across the text? How would this
be entered on a mobile phone with a numeric keypad?

If one inserts an English letter inside the RTL domain, the whole domain
will flip in around the English letter. How would a user understand
about how to correct this?

To get around these problems I would like to see a subset of IRIs that
can be entirely ordered RTL. That would include the scheme and the path.
Like so:

ويب://الاعلي-للاتصالات قطر/ع/الصفحة_الرئيسية

There would need to be Arabic translations of some (not all) scheme
names (e.g. http and ftp). This would allow web developers to create
IRIs that are easily typed, edited, moved between applications and
transferred unambiguously from paper to computer and back again. This
could be as part of a transitional phase either:
- these are the only type of RTL IRI allowed until a large number of
clients support a UBA extension.
- this is a voluntary IRI restriction that can be recommended and
validated independently.

Adil