Re: How browsers display IRI's with mixed encodings

On 2011/07/22 20:42, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> I believed that the issue for debate was how %FC should be displayed
> and handled.

I don't really think that's being debated. I hope the relevant browsers
who got it wrong are going to fix it.

> However, while it would give the best user experience to *display* and
> *handle* the %FC in Martin's test as %C3%BC,

What you are saying is the same as "It would be the best user experience
if a link always went to where the user wanted to go to, independent of
where it pointed to." Obviously, that doesn't make sense.

> it might also be
> considered a feature that href="D%FCrst" in Martin's test does not
> work. E.g. if Martin's page was converted from legacy encoding to
> UTF-8, then href="D%FCrst" would stop working even if it *had* worked
> in the legacy encoded page.

Very good point. %-encoding should be independent of the encoding of the
page it appears in. That's not something from RFC 3987, but from RFC 3986.

Regards,    Martin.