[bidi] Re: BIDI?

   Hello, Mark!

I am glad to see somebody daring to tackle this issue.

You wrote: <quote>
If a bidiIri is recognized, then it is handled by the UBA as if each
separator is surrounded by:
LRM (if the embedding level is even) or
RLM (if the embedding level is odd)
<end of quote>

This design has the following consequences, which IMHO are not optimal:
a) The same URL (IRI) will be displayed differently according to the
embedding level. This is confusing.
b) Pure Latin-character URLs will be displayed in a new and strange way
when the embedding level is odd. For instance, "htttp://docs.google.com"
will be displayed as "com.google.docs//:http".

Consequently, I second Slim Amamou's suggestion to "have a
predefined/enforced directionality in the specs for each scheme? (ex. LTR
for URLs)".
It is true that pure or mostly Hebrew or Arabic URLs will be displayed in
a way which may seem strange. For instance, "http://MY.OWN.DOMAIN.com"
(where upper case letters represent RTL letters) will be displayed as "
http://YM.NWO.NIAMOD.com", but
1. The scheme and the TLD currently are pure LTR, and I guess that this is
not going to change soon, so the display of mixed LTR/RTL URLs will be
strange anyway.
2. The use of domain names with RTL labels is still scarce, there is no
common usage to overcome, so the public will get accustomed to the
"strange" display right from the beginning.

Shalom (Regards),  Mati
           Bidi Architect
           Globalization Center Of Competency - Bidirectional Scripts
           IBM Israel
           Fax: +972 2 5870333    Mobile: +972 52 2554160