Re: Soliciting feedback on draft-abarth-url

On 20.04.2011 07:56, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> The only two blackbox-observable URL operations in browsers are:
>
> (1) Parsing into components as exposed by the<a>  element and the Location object, among other things.
> (2) Resolving a possibly-relative reference, relative to a base URL.
>
> It's theoretically possible that (2) can be described partly using a component splitting algorithm that is inconsistent with (1). I don't believe this is known to be the case for any existing browser.
> ---

OK, let's have a look at the FF4 outcome for the very first test in
<http://trac.webkit.org/export/HEAD/trunk/LayoutTests/fast/url/segments.html>:

FAIL segments('http://user:pass@foo:21/bar;par?b#c') should be
["http:","foo","21","/bar;par","?b","#c"]. Was
["http:","foo","21","/bar","?b","#c"].

So apparently FF doesn't report ";par" as part of the path component.
But we *do* know that it processes it correctly when following a link.
So apparently, the DOM API shows a behavior that doesn't apply to that
URI's handling in general.

Best regards, Julian