Re: Issue #5 "presentation of IRI" (was: Re: proposal for Issue #23 (relax requirement for NFC transcoding))

> but first and foremost, we should try to make sure there are unique visual
representations for all IRIs.

Depending on what you mean by this, it can vary from impossible to trivially
true.

That is, for example, suppose you mean that if Unicode string 1 can appear
with the same display as a different Unicode string 2 in some font(s), then
they cannot both be valid IRIs. But then many perfectly reasonable Cyrillic
strings could not be used in IRIs, because they look the same as (or
confusably close to) some ASCII; and vice versa. For example, take the
following with IDNA2008:

http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/confusables.jsp?a=scope&r=IDNA2008

Even with the tighter restrictions of UTS46+UTS39, there are still two cases
left:

http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/confusables.jsp?a=scope&r=UTS46%2BUTS39

And of course, Cyrillic vs ASCII characters are not the only ones that have
this characteristic. And they don't have to look identical; for example, at
Google we've seen the use of σ (sigma) to spoof "o", because in context at
address-bar sizes, they are confusable.

Now, I know that you are familiar with these cases, so you must mean
something else by your statement, but I'm not exactly sure what it is.

<http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/confusables.jsp?a=scope&r=IDNA2008>
Mark

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*