Re: [Uri-review] Updated 'javascript' scheme draft

* Adam Barth wrote:
>[[
>   The in-context evaluation operation necessitates extreme caution in
>   deciding where resource identifiers using this scheme are recognized
>   and permitted and what facilities are made available to script code,
>   like access to private information and operations with side effects.
>]]
>
>I probably would have said something a bit stronger than that.
>JavaScript URLs are a security disaster.  I wouldn't recommend their
>use by anyone with a choice in the matter.  :)

Like I noted when I announced the revised draft, there has been some
criticism in that direction, but nobody submitted text and I could not
come up with text that I didn't feel was misleading (most problems
with this scheme are shared by other schemes in one form or another,
so singling this scheme out may be a bad idea). If there was consensus
that the scheme should be deprecated, I'd gladly do that, but that's
not where we are.

It would be great if there was, say, a peer-reviewed paper that dis-
cusses the poor security record with this scheme in some detail, which
I would gladly reference in the specification, but I have not yet come
across anything like that yet.