Re: proposal for Issue #23 (relax requirement for NFC transcoding)

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 08:54:06 +0200
To: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>
Cc: "public-iri@w3.org" <public-iri@w3.org>
* Phillips, Addison wrote:
>3.1 is not superfluous! The first step in processing an IRI is to obtain
>it as a sequence of Unicode characters. It will not occur to all users
>(or implementers) that the IRI is the UCS sequence, not necessarily the
>octets you find floating in your tag soup.

An IRI is a sequence of characters from the UCS. Your proposal distin-
guishes two cases. In the first case you convert the IRI to a sequence
of characters from the UCS. That is a no-op because an IRI already is
a sequence of characters from the UCS. In the other case you do exactly
the same thing, so the two cases are not actually distinct; in neither
cases do you do anything at all. I do agree people need to understand
what an IRI is; I do not think the proposed text is helpful.