Re: [bidi] Re: Special ordering for BIDI URLs

From: Matitiahu Allouche <matial@il.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 19:46:23 +0300
To: "Jonathan Rosenne" <rosennej@qsm.co.il>
Cc: aharon@google.com, bidi@unicode.org, bidi-bounce@unicode.org, "'Mark Davis ?'" <mark@macchiato.com>, "'Murray Sargent'" <murrays@exchange.microsoft.com>, public-iri@w3.org, "'Shawn Steele'" <Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com>, "'Slim Amamou'" <slim@alixsys.com>
Jonathan Rosenne wrote:
<quote>
It certainly is a misunderstanding. A kid in Egypt or Israel who has not
yet learnt a second language should be able to use the internet in his own
language and script, i.e. exclusively RTL.
</quote>

I have observed my own first-graders grand-children, barely able to type
Hebrew letters and absolutely no Latin letters, accessing sites with URLs
partly in Hebrew by typing the Hebrew parts in the browser address bar,
getting a list of hits and choosing the first one which happens to be the
good one.

I would rather expose kids to a more challenging environment and have them
develop their own solutions than try to hide from them the existence of
other alphabets.

Shalom (Regards),  Mati
           Bidi Architect
           Globalization Center Of Competency - Bidirectional Scripts
           IBM Israel
           Phone: +972 2 5888802    Fax: +972 2 5870333    Mobile: +972 52
2554160