Requirement for internal direction changes (was Re: [bidi] Re: Special ordering for BIDI URLs)

From: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 16:20:12 -0700
To: "public-iri@w3.org" <public-iri@w3.org>
Forgive my failing memory here, but I thought there had been discussion
at one of our face-to-face meetings about contexts in which there were
different expectations about script direction within a single context.  One
discussion point that I seem to recall touched on a context in which the
local language was right-to-left but numbers appearing within the text
using Hindu-Arabic numerals (0-9) were left-to-right.

If that memory is correct, or there are other contexts in which a right-to-left
and left-to-right context can mix, it seems to me that we cannot use
the simplifying assumption that we can use a marker (either embedded
in the IRI or at the presentation layer) to reverse the whole string.

Am I misremembering this or misinterpreting the consequences?

regards,

Ted Hardie