Re: Special ordering for BIDI URLs

From: Slim Amamou <slim@alixsys.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 09:34:55 +0100
To: Mark Davis ☕ <mark@macchiato.com>
Cc: public-iri@w3.org, bidi@unicode.org, Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com>, Murray Sargent <murrays@exchange.microsoft.com>, aharon@google.com
On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Mark Davis ☕ <mark@macchiato.com> wrote:

> (...)
>
> But we're not. The best way to solve the problem that I can think of can be
> done right now. Any significant site that wants to support BIDI languages
> should provide for the ability to have IRIs with *all *RTL characters:
> host name, path, query, fragment.

This is undesirable because it will create isolated communities and an
internet that does not look the same depending on whether you are American
or Moroccan. This is maybe the case already now, but it should not be our
aim. In a sense, this even breaks the principle of net neutrality.

For the record I proposed enforcing LTR directionality for URIs as a
solution, and already proved that at least for the HOST part (IDN), and
given the current specs, labels MUST be ordered LTR.

During the discussions I understood the difficulties of such a change which
includes at the same time unicode, IDN and URI (we could say the whole
internet). But I still don't see any other solution which is viable and
consistent with internets principles.

--
Slim Amamou | سليم عمامو
http://alixsys.com