Re: "Web Address processing" (ABNF, processing proposal)

On Feb 12, 2010, at 10:38 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:24:37 +0100, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de
> > wrote:
>> Erik van der Poel wrote:
>>> Hi Julian,
>>> I believe specs should not only be written for content producers
>>> (authors and authoring tool developers), but also for content
>>> consumers, such as browser developers. So, yes, these specs are
>>> needed. The question may be whether these items should be "moved"
>>> from
>>> URL/URI/IRI to HTML5.
>>> Erik
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> I think extracting a Web Address from HTML could be described in
>> the HTML spec. That would include stripping leading and trailing
>> whitespace.
>>
>> The result from that should be processable using *something* in the
>> IRI spec.
>
> Stripping also needs to be done in XMLHttpRequest, CSS, etc.

Even setting aside the fact that it's needed in multiple places, I
think it would be hugely preferable for all of the required processing
to be defined in a single spec, rather than spread across multiple. If
HTML5 defines some preprocessing rules after which IRIbis applies,
then that is considerably harder for implementors to follow and
creates more opportunity for error.

Regards,
Maciej