Re: Change definition of URL to normatively reference IRI specification using a well-defined interface

On 09.04.2010 18:54, Mark Davis ☕ wrote:
>   For Issue #1, I like the formulation. However, I'd like to see one
> more piece of information (logically) returned: if the parse could not
> continue to the end, then what was the last character successfully parsed.
>
> That is, in "http://google.com/<space>/", it would return the offset
> between the "m" and the space.
>
> So why do this? It is because a very common problem is to find an IRI in
> plain text, where the end is not known. This needs to be done in email,
> word processors, HTML editors, and a host of other products. By having
> an explicit specification that lets us know what the last character is,
> one can then (logically) call the function again to determine whether
> the segment up to the error point is a valid IRI.

Hmm. Not convinced.

1) If you want to parse IRIs out of content, wouldn't you also need to
consider *leading* non IRI characters?

2) What's wrong with just adding up the individual segments (plus
delimiters)?

Best regards, Julian