Re: Change definition of URL to normatively reference IRI specification using a well-defined interface

Hello Maciej, Ian, others,

WG, to the cc, because I think it's important that the IRI WG
understands the requirements from the (W3C) HTML WG's side.

On 2010/04/08 17:46, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
> Thanks for chiming in.
>
> On Apr 8, 2010, at 1:32 AM, Larry Masinter wrote:
>
>> There has been some discussion in the HTML working group over how to
>> get changes into the IRI spec in IETF, specifically with requirements
>> for a better interface for some processing.
>>
>> Ø “If we can get agreement to provide an interface roughly similar to
>> what Ian proposed…”
>>
>> Honestly, I thought the IRIBIS document actually had what is being
>> asked for here. So I’d like someone else to look & see if they can
>> figure out what’s not there that needs to be there, or make specific
>> proposals.
>
> I looked at section 7.2 in what I believe is the latest Internet-Draft:
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-duerst-iri-bis-07>.

In terms of actual content, this is mostly irrelevant (because there
haven't been much content-wise changes), but the latest Internet-Draft
is http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-iri-3987bis-00.

The relevant "REPLACED-BY" information is actually missing at
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/; I have asked that it be added. An
additional pointer should then appear at the top of
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-duerst-iri-bis-07. Thanks for helping
us detect this issue.

> That's the section
> that defines lenient "Web Address" style processing.
>
> I see a preprocessing algorithm defined, but I do not see definitions of
> "parse" or "resolve" algorithms with the inputs and outputs Ian asked
> for. In fact, the words "parse" and "resolve" do not seem to appear in
> that section. I think the proposal at the start of this thread is asking
> for a single term, algorithm, or subsection that has the requested
> inputs and outputs in each case, and performs the intended task (modulo
> bugs).

Larry did most (if not all) editing on this issue, but as far as I
understand, the plan was to cover the parsing part (which is potentially
useful for any spec using IRIs, even if it has way less baggage than
HTML) in Section 3.2 (with the help of the syntax in Section 2). Section
7.2 would then only cover those aspects more specific to legacy
implementations (such as HTML), stuff that we would hope new uses of
IRIs wouldn't need to adopt.

However, it is clear that the HTML spec needs very precise entry points
into the IRI spec, and there we clearly have to do some more work.

Regards,    Martin.