From: Larry Masinter [masinter@adobe.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:30 PM
To: Shawn Steele; PUBLIC-IRI@W3.ORG; Peter Constable
Cc: Pete Resnick; Ted Hardie
Subject: RE: Using Punicode for host names in IRI -> URI translation; phishing; comparison

1)    I don't think it's practical to say that URI's must be mapped to punycode.  People'll use Unicode anyway.  That's pretty much been proven with IDN.

I’m afraid my “strawman” proposal was pretty terse and I was trying to make a more subtle point. I try to be explicit about “URI” and “IRI”. A “URI” is ASCII only. An “IRI” uses Unicode. Yes, people will use Unicode and write IRIs.  ( “IRI” is more or less what HTML5 currently calls a “URL” ).

The only question is how to handle the translation if you have an IRI (HTML5 URL) and want to actually turn it into a URI (ASCII-only).  For most of the parts of a URL/IRI, the translation is to use %xx percent-encoding of UTF8.

But, just for the host name, and to avoid sending %xx percent-encoded host names to DNS systems which don’t know about them, the proposal is: Always use punicode for the host name, when going from IRI to URI.

There was some concern about doing that, because there are cases where host names *aren’t* resolved using DNS at all, but, well, WINS for example. What should they do if they see a punicode host name? My strawman is that if you see something with punicode in the host name field (or %xx for that matter) you should turn it back into unicode.

2)    I think that A & B are reasonable approaches to spoofing concerns.  I'm not sure I agree so much about unambiguously-enterable though.  In most cases someone will probably type it a form that's expected, perhaps if some mappings are applied, but it is probably unavoidable that some Latin user will see a Cyrillic URL and mistakenly try to enter it in Latin.  I can't see how a specification can solve that problem.

Well, yes, the publisher of a (human readable form of a) Cyrillic URL has the responsibility of making sure that users who see the URL won’t mistype it and enter it as Latin.

3)    The statement that Unicode can't be compared like ASCII because ASCII has a canonical form, but Unicode has various mappings is misleading. The traditional "single canonical form" for plain-ASCII mappings don't work for everyone (eg: Turkish i).

I’m not sure what I said that was wrong; I agree it was terse. Mainly I was summarizing what was a lengthy exposition in the IAB presentation, though.

 However the "ascii lower case" is assumed to work, whether appropriate or not.  So extending a standardized mapping to Unicode wouldn't be "any worse" than the ASCII behavior we have now.  It's just more obvioius becuase there's more code points and we're "used" to ASCII so we ignore it's limitations.

Exact comparisons might be best, but a BCP or UTR that describes good practices might be helpful.  If exact comparisons are required, it should be enforced in ASCII as well.  (My logic is that if it isn't "good enough" for ASCII users, then Unicode users probably would also have problems).

I’m not sure if you’re agreeing to the separation of the “comparison” BCP?

Larry