Re: Advice on making IRI document suitable for reference by HTML (and other specs)

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 01:33:46 +0100, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
wrote:
> No.  Some of those definitions aren't even useful inside HTML5
> because the attribute string has to be parsed for whitespace
> issues based on the definition of that attribute -- there is
> no single attribute parser algorithm for HTML.

Actually, since HTML5 (and in implementations for much longer) there is.
And there is no whitespace normalization.

>> I looked through the HTML5 specification for any specific reference
>> to WEBADDRESS or HTML5 section 2.5, and saw no such attributes;
>> could you give an example of an HTML5 attribute which requires a
>> list of space-separated references?
>
> rel="", itemprop="", and potentially any attribute that consists
> of an undefined set of space-separated tokens (token syntax is
> only restricted to exclude space).

It's not clear to me whether allowing spaces in Web references/IRIs (as
opposed to requiring implementations to handle them) is a good idea, but
surely specific contexts could impose limitations on the Web reference/IRI
syntax. E.g. disallowing spaces in them because the value will first be
split on spaces.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/