Minor bidi fixes (was: Re: Proposed resolution of HRRI/IRI discussion)

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:48:10 +0900
To: public-iri@w3.org

I received the following mail from Mati Allouche (thanks, Mati!):

>   Hello, Martin!
>1) I have reviewed your document http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-duerst-iri-bis-01.txt and more particularly section 4 about Bidirectional IRIs, and I have a problem with example 9.  IMHO, the visual representation (Hebrew) should be:
>and the visual representation (Arabic) should be:
>I suggest to check the proper result using one of the Bidi reference implementations that you can find on the Unicode site (or in the "Tools => Bidi Demo" menu item in the Unibook application).

I have listed this as issue:

I will check this through. Looking at
in general the green (displayed by the browser) and blue
(calculated by an implementation of mine) lines should match,
but for example 9, they indeed don't match.

>2) It might be appropriate to add example 11 as follows:
>   Example 11 (allowed but very confusing):
>  Logical representation: "http://ab.CDEFGH.123ij/kl/mn/op.html"
>  Visual representation: "http://ab.123.HGFEDCij/kl/mn/op.html"
>  Components consisting of numbers and  left-to-right characters are
>   allowed, but these may interact with adjacent RTL components in ways
>   that are not easy to predict.

I've listed this as:
This is indeed a good point; for backwards compatibility reasons,
it is difficult to disallow such cases, but they'd indeed better
not exist.

Regards,    Martin.