New issue bidi-numbers-112 (RE: New issue bidi-combining-108)

At 18:26 07/07/02, Jonathan Rosenne wrote:

>I strongly suggest that strings such as ("aleph 1")  must be legal.

Hello Jonathan,

As this is different from allowing combining characters, I have
created a new issue.

I can agree with you that it would be highly desirable from an
registrant's point of view to allow such components, but our
past analysis has show that this easily leads to IRIs and
domain names that are ambiguous when printed. Unless we can
solve this problem (or show that it doesn't exist), I doubt
that we can relax the current restriction. If you have any
ideas or contributions to solve the problem, I'd very much
like to see them.

Regards,    Martin.