RE: Urdu IDNs: Characters in domain names

Mark wrote:

>>What would work is if the TLDs are always treated as equivalents (aliases)
in DNS lookup; that way Joe Smith looking at a tourist site could always
type "abc.au" and get the same results as if he had typed " abc.rö".

On reflection, and with particular regard to Internationalized ccTLDs and
second level domain names, I am not sure whether this is a good idea or not.
Could this cross over into the area of trade marks etc. with cocacola.co uk
represented in Arabic script (for instance) being automatically owned by
cocacola.  Would this mean that if you have the domain name or control of
the ccTLD in Latin script you have rights to it in all other scripts.
Hmmmm... tricky.

Nevertheless, the proposed ISO standard will only provide the base data.  It
is for others to define usage and rules of use.

Best regards

Debbie

  _____