RE: Urdu IDNs: Characters in domain names

At 05:23 07/07/31, Jonathan Rosenne wrote:

>Sarmad's mail is specific about TLDs. TLDs are specific and limited in
>number, and it should be possible to determine national language TLDs for
>most countries while avoiding the problems mentioned below.

This confuses various issues. First, TLDs, at least up to now, mostly are
not language-based, but script-based. It makes a lot of sense to keep it
that way, it reduces the number of TLDs enormously.

Second, TLDs are indeed currently limited in number, but their number
is increasing. It used to be that it was easy to remember all generic
(non-country) TLDs, but that's no longer the case (see
http://www.iana.org/gtld/gtld.htm).

Third, it is unclear whether this is talking about ccTLDs (country-code
TLDs) or generic TLDs. "TLDs for most contries" suggests the former,
but some part of the above text seems to include the later.

>The use of URLs in the national language within a TLD of the same language
>should be determined at the country or language level and not necessarily
>by an international organization.

Given that TLDs should be mostly script-based, this makes it a bit
more difficult to determine things at a country or language level.
Most scripts are used in more than one country, by more than one
language. However, I agree that a lot of the consensus discussion
should be done at a level where those directly affected are involved.

>I am sorry to have to say this, but the international organizations
>controlling the internet have not shown in the past sufficient
>understanding for people who do not use the Latin script and their
>problems. By show I mean action, not talk.

I fully agree that ICANN is way too slow when it comes to non-Latin TLDs.

>At least for Hebrew, I do not think that vowels should be removed. For
>native users of the language vowels that may or may not be present are
>natural. A site may register itself twice, with and without vowels, or
>duplicate their pages, or handle it in their server, if they want to.

For Hebrew as a language, vowels may be moderately important. For other
languages written in Hebrew, vowels may be more or less important.
I therefore agree that removing them at the client is a bad idea.

As long as registration is only needed twice, things might be fine.
But there may be cases where there are more variants with vowels,
which can lead to an explosion of the number of needed registrations.

So vowels have to be addressed very carefully by registry policies.

As others have already said, artificially providing 'translated'
TLDs by a plugin or something similar at the client level leads
to dangerous confusion and fragmentation in the URI/IRI space.
In my view, what will ultimately happen is that there will be
e.g. Arabic-script TLDs, and Arabic-script domain names will just
be registered in these TLDs because that's easiest for the users.
Therefore, something like ARABIC.com is a temporary artefact
that we should be able to get away from quickly, rather than
stick to by providing a plugin to translate from some Arabic-script
equivalent to .com.

Regards,    Martin.