Character-by-Character Distinct IRI-> Char-by-char equivalent URI

[Shifting discussion to public-iri from tag@w3.org]

> >So to be clear... the IRI draft section 5.1 seems to suggest that it is
> >possible for the IRI->URI mapping to generate superious
> >character-by-character equivalences (between the resulting URI) from
> >distinct IRI.
> >
> >If that can't in fact happen, then maybe the wording in 5.1 that
> >suggest that it could should be changed.
>
> It can happen. The IRI http://www.example.org/rosé is
> not character-by-character equivalent to the URI/IRI
> http://www.example.org/ros%C3%A9, but when you convert the
> IRI http://www.example.org/rosé to an URI, you get the
> URI http://www.example.org/ros%C3%A9.

So... what other IRI, distinct from http://www.example.org/rosé
yields URI http://www.example.org/ros%C3%A9.

Oh... yes I see, the IRI http://www.example.org/ros%C3%A9 (because in your
view URI are IRI) maps to the URI http://www.example.org/ros%C3%A9.
aaaaggghhhh.

This gets us back to the question of whether IRI are intended 1) as a
replacement for URI as 'the' identifier for the Web, or 2) as a distinct set
of a internationalised identifiers (distinct value space, overlapping
lexical space wrt URI) which are mapped to URI for use in protocol elements
that require URI - URI then remain 'the' identifier on the Web and IRI serve
as an internationalisation friendly form for inclusion in documents and UI
artifacts (from which URI are generated when necessary).

View 2 treats URI and IRI as different types even though there lexical forms
overlap. In this view I'm not sure quite how the IRI
http://www.example.org/ros%C3%A9 would arise.

I accept that simply looking at the lexical form leaves an ambiguity about
whether one is looking at a URI or an IRI.

> So what the IRI draft says is that if you need character-by-
> character equivalence, for example for XML namespaces (e.g.
> XSLT) or for RDF to match nodes in a graph, don't convert to an URI.

ie. you do character-by-character comparison of two IRI.

> >[Also, I'm not entirely comfortable with all "URIs are IRIs" - but I'll
> >dwell on that - this discomfort is at the level of whether the set of
> >real numbers and the set of integers are disjoint or not - ie. they are
> >different types (value-space) although the may share lexical space
> >presentation.]
>
> I'm not totally familiar with this kind of philosophical discussion.
> I tend to think about this from an operational view. Most if
> not all operations that you can do on 'integer 2' you can do
> on 'real 2', with the same results. Same the other way round.
> As far as I know, all the relevant operations you can do with
> the URI http://www.example.org/ros%C3%A9 you can do with the
> IRI http://www.example.org/ros%C3%A9, and vice versa, with
> the same result. So trying to distinguish them will only
> complicate the spec, without adding anything other than
> confusing most readers.

But you are demonstrating a situation where for two IRI x and y:

	(not(x == y)) && (iriToUri(x) == iriToUri(y))

operationally this is also confusing.

Stuart