Last Call comments on IRI - 3.1 Mapping of IRIs to URIs

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:22:27 +0200
To: public-iri@w3.org
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Hello ,

> If the IRI is in an Unicode-based character encoding (for example
> UTF-8 or UTF-16): Do not normalize. Apply Step 2 directly to the
> encoded Unicode character sequence.

I believe that I understand why this step says 'do not normalize'
(otherwise, certain Unicode strings couldnever be used in query parts,
for example).

However, as the two preceding steps say 'normalize' and this step says
'do not normalize' the reader could be confused - or perhaps consider it
an 'obvious error'.

Do not tease the reader like this. Please explain *why* at this stage no
normalization is performed.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group