New issue: clarifying generation/creation [generateclarify-15]

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:37:16 -0400
To: public-iri@w3.org
Cc: uri@w3.org

[Cross-posted to the uri list because this is a somewhat general
subject, and I hope to get some useful advice.]

The current IRI draft (internal latest version at
http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/draft-duerst-iri.txt)
has quite a bit of language referring to generation or creation of IRIs.

I think there are (at least) two separate concepts:

- Creating a resource and giving it a name (e.g. domain names,
   file names, name of database fields, and so on).

- Generating an URI/IRI out of various components such as domain
   names, file names,...

In some cases, these two operations actually happen simultaneously,
i.e. when I create a new URI/IRI by saving to a specific location
using PUT. In other cases, a file with its name is created long
before it is exposed over the Web.

Any advice on what terminology to use?

I have created an issue for this, see
http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/#generateclarify-15.