Re: Soft Launch of a W3C Invited Expert identity program

Hi Tobie, all,

> On 10 Jan 2019, at 15:15 , Tobie Langel <tobie@unlockopen.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for finally acknowledging the existence and importance of invited experts. It's late and not very much, but it's a step in the right direction, and that's worth mentioning.
>
> See a few comments inline.
>
>> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 2:45 PM Coralie Mercier <coralie@w3.org> wrote:
>> A) Identity program
>> ===================
>> To help W3C Invited Experts organize as a group of disparate individuals who may want to use a united voice to speak about some topic or other, we have created:
>>
>> 1) A public directory of W3C Invited Experts
>> <https://www.w3.org/participate/invited-experts/list>
>>
>> That page exposes a combination of W3C database information and information you may enter via your W3C profile:
>>  * First and Last Name
>>  * Group(s) in which each IE is invited
>>  * Photo
>>  * GitHub icon linking to your Github profile
>>  * Title
>>  * Biography
>>
>> Note: Except the first two items, you may customize and update information in your W3C profile (<https://www.w3.org/users/myprofile>).
>
> While it's great to have something which shows how large of a group invited experts are and how important they are to W3C, I think it's be a good idea to allow opting out of the list. Not everyone is comfortable with having a public profile.

We could implement that but it may not be as trivial as it sounds.
In order to implement opt-out, we’d need to hear whether some in the group wants an opt-out.

>> B) Designated observer at W3C Advisory Committee Meetings
>>
>> W3C Invited Experts may designate one individual amongst themselves (volunteer? elect?) to attend as an observer the W3C Advisory Committee Meetings [1] which take place twice a year. That non-voting individual represents the interests of W3C Invited Experts and is allowed to summarize and bring back information that is not member-confidential.
>>
>> To that effect, a straw-man proposal is for the designated Invited Expert self-declares to <ie-contact@w3.org> who subscribes them to w3c-ac-forum [2], the list for discussion among W3C Advisory Committee Members and the Advisory Board on matters of relevance to W3C.
>
>  Will W3C cover the travelling expenses of this IE observer and wave AC meeting fees if there are any? Or this another case of expecting IE to self-fund?

I’ll get back to you on this as soon as I can.

Coralie

--
Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Marketing & Communications -  https://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@w3.org +337 810 795 22 https://www.w3.org/People/Coralie/