Re: Sprites: Payment Channels that Go Faster than Lightning

> Since we said that conditions are just SHA-256 hashes, that extra
information would not be passed along the chain.

The condition format is still ledger specific. We've decided to make it
plain hashes for the JS ledger plugins but that doesn't preclude anyone
adding a new field that says "The receiver will post the fulfillment to the
condition at XXX url".

> requires special behavior from intermediaries

I don't think it requires special behaviur it just adds a second option for
ledgers to get the fulfillment. I.e. During setup the receiver says "I'm
gonna fulfill the final transfer but also post the fulfillment publicly at
XXX url".

The sender sees this and attaches the URL to the first transfer in a new
custom header. Any ledger that understands that header says "Yippee! I can
get the fulfillment form XXX url instead of waiting for it to be passed
down the chain."

> This proposal would not affect the worst case, because the connector
could not rely on getting the fulfillment from that URL.

I don't follow that logic. In the case where the communication breaks down
between a connector and a ledger in the middle the connector that is
waiting for the fulfillment may never get it but in the interim the next
ledger has already fetched the fulfillment directly from the receiver's
public URL so it actually doesn't matter that the connector never got the
fulfillment from the ledger where it's money is tied up.

> All of the hold times would have to stay the same.

Agreed but that's not the point. Hold times ARE the worst case. The faster
you release holds and free up liquidity the better.

I have seen HTTP long polling implemented where the connection is
established (including all TLS handshakes if required) while the resource
that is being fetched is still being prepared. The moment it is available
the client gets it and closes the connection. The implementation I saw even
exploited some very clever native platform interupts through an MSSQL DB.
(I can't recall how but it was pretty impressive both in terms of speed and
scale of connections).

For a transaction with a lot of hops this could make a significant
difference.