Re: Sprites: Payment Channels that Go Faster than Lightning

We thought about this kind of flow when we were originally working on the
whitepaper. I see two main issues with it.

First, just like we realized with atomic mode, this can't really be a
"transport layer" protocol because it's not end to end. Every participant
in the path needs to support this behavior. With PSK and IPR no one except
the sender and receiver need to be aware of the protocol being used.

Second, setting this up either with a blockchain or the web presents
further issues. If you use the web it's trivial to screw some party in the
chain because the server can respond to different requests differently. If
you use a blockchain you need everyone to agree on what blockchain to use,
and then you're back to one of the original problems that prompted us to
work on Interledger in the first place: no one can agree on which
blockchain to trust.

The flow with telescoping timeouts will be a little slower and carries some
risk for connectors, but it also makes the ledger and connector behavior
very simple.

Evan Schwartz
Software Engineer
Managing Director of Ripple Luxembourg