Re: Thoughts on Discovery

On 29 March 2016 at 13:01, Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com> wrote:

> Is acct: lookup really a problem?

I would say so.  But well, why even use acct: in the first place?

> It depends on the context in which you encounter the identifier. If the
> context suggests that this is an Interledger account identifier then the
> next step would be to normalize it into an acct: URI and then resolve the
> ledger URL from that using WebFinger (or WebFinger 2.0 with JSON-LD)

Yes, that would be out of band information contained in the inter ledger
protocol spec.  It requires organic growth, rather than, bootstrapping what
we have already.

> I hear you say that an xxx@yyyy identifier could be misinterpreted as a
> mailto: or xmpp: or sip: URI but why would a piece of software that is
> specifically trying to take an identifier and find meta-data about ledgers
> and accounts for the purposes of sending an ILP payment normalize that
> identifier to anything but an acct: URI?

So what if I want to send money to an email address, or xmpp account.  I
can do this already, ILP cant.  So I would say there's some major
scalability issues introduced.